Searching and browsing
Search & Browse Video Tutorial
Further Search & Browse help topics on this page
A quick search box is available at the top right of every page. A search returns a list of book titles and journals as well as chapters and articles in order of relevance. A Quick Search will search across all content including Titles, Absracts, Key Words and Full Text.
Users may then use filters to search within the results, refine their search further or select just the content they have full text access to.
Creating Advanced Searches
The Advanced Search page can be used to build more complex searches and to search specific fields (eg. Title or Author). In addition users can use Boolean operators in both the Advanced and Quick Searches
- Search allows use of Boolean operators (AND/OR/NOT)
- By default a search on a string of words will return results containing the individual words, eg. environmental economics is the same as environmental AND economics
- To search for an exact phrase use ("), eg. "environmental economics" returns only results with these two words together in this order - an exact text match of the phrase
- Use (*) as a wild card. eg. econom* will return searches containing economic, economics, economy, economist etc; colo*r will return searches containing colour as well as color
- Basic algorithmic stemming is used to disregard some word endings, eg. a search for city will automatically include cities
Users may then use filters to refine the search further.
Browsing Book and Journal Titles
Titles can be browsed by clicking on a subject on the home page or clicking on Browse in top header bar.
Browse returns a list of book and journal titles and is ordered most recently published first. The search filters described below can be used to refine the browse results.
Filtering Search and Browse Results
Search and browse results can be refined by using the filters on the left of the results page:
- Search within results
- Filtering by content type
Select and click update
- Filtering by subject area on the lefthand menu
- Filtering by access on the lefthand menu
- Selecting date range on the lefthand menu
- The search criteria are displayed at the top of the results list
Any search parameter can be removed by clicking 'x'.
- Search results are ordered by relevance.
This can be changed to alphabetical or by publication date.