Selected Essays of James Tobin
Nobel Prize winner James Tobin has made outstanding contributions to modern macroeconomics. In this final collection of his work he examines the economic policies of the United States and its relations with other major economies after 1990. In James Tobin’s view, the welfare of populations depends uniquely on these policies and it is important to be aware of their impact.
Show Summary Details
- Chapter 1: The global economy: who is at the helm?
- Chapter 2: Financial globalization
- Chapter 3: Financial globalization: can national currencies survive?
- Chapter 4: Foreword to Global Capital Flows
- Chapter 5: Prologue to The Tobin Tax: Coping with Financial Volatility
- Chapter 6: Remarks at a round table on Tobin Tax
- Chapter 7: Why we need sand in the marketÂês gears
- Chapter 8: They are misusing my name
- Chapter 9: An idea that gained currency but lost clarity
- Chapter 10: The IMF's misplaced priorities: flawed fund
- Chapter 11: Tighten belt? No, spend cash
- Chapter 12: Keynesian insights for the Japanese economy
- Chapter 13: Currency unions, American v. European
- Chapter 14: Symposium on limiting the moral hazard in international financial rescues
- Chapter 15: 1960: campaign memo on economic growth and Growth Through Taxation
- Chapter 16: The monetary and fiscal policy mix
- Chapter 17: Can we grow faster?
- Chapter 18: Supply constraints on employment and output: NAIRU versus natural rate
- Chapter 19: Monetary policy: recent theory and practice
- Chapter 20: Whatever happened to fiscal policy?
- Chapter 21: Clinton's second term and the American economy
- Chapter 22: Fiscal policy: its macroeconomics in perspective
- Chapter 23: Thoughts on indexing the elderly
- Chapter 24: The political threat to Social Security
- Chapter 25: Fisher's introductory text
- Chapter 26: Review of The Commanding Heights
- Chapter 27: On Minsky's agenda for reform
- Chapter 28: False expectations
- Chapter 29: Between a market-based and a caring society: what kind of socially responsible economy do we want?
- Chapter 30: Jan Tinbergen (12 April 1903…9 June 1994)