Women Entrepreneurs Across Racial Lines
Show Less

Women Entrepreneurs Across Racial Lines

Issues of Human Capital, Financial Capital and Network Structures

  • New Horizons in Entrepreneurship series

Andrea E. Smith-Hunter

Women entrepreneurs command an increasingly large presence at the international and national levels. A significant part of this impact is due to growing numbers of minority women becoming entrepreneurs. This volume provides some of the most comprehensive data to date on the topic of women entrepreneurs across racial lines. It offers a systematic and conceptual framework for understanding issues of network structures and human and financial capital, analyzed through a comparative analysis of minority and white women entrepreneurs.
Buy Book in Print
Show Summary Details

Chapter 4: Overview of Results

Andrea E. Smith-Hunter

Extract

4. Overview of results Before addressing the issues of human capital, network structures and financial capital and the findings from the current study that are related to these overall areas, it is pertinent to take a look at an overview of the sample and the results related to the sample. The outcome of the current study was impacted by the racial component and percentages of the women entrepreneurs in each category. Also important are the types of business operated by the women entrepreneurs, specifically by industry, with race as an additional component of this breakdown and an analysis of the sample by state, again with race as a by-product of the breakdown. In addition, the size of organization, as well as differences in demographic characteristics across the two samples are also addressed. Sample Description by Race, State and Industry The chapter begins with a look at the race of the women entrepreneurs (see Table 4.1). The table shows that approximately half of the women entrepreneurs who participated in this study were white (52.85%). The minority women entrepreneurs participating in the study represented the remaining 47.15%, this latter group being from four major races. In order of dominant participation in the overall sample, the percentages of the minority women entrepreneurs were as Table 4.1 Race of Women Entrepreneurs in Sample Race of Women Entrepreneurs Whites Blacks Hispanics Asians Native Americans Total Number of Women Entrepreneurs 139 52 35 25 12 263 Percentages (%) 52.85 19.77 13.31 9.50 4.56 100.00 54 Overview...

You are not authenticated to view the full text of this chapter or article.

Elgaronline requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books or journals. Please login through your library system or with your personal username and password on the homepage.

Non-subscribers can freely search the site, view abstracts/ extracts and download selected front matter and introductory chapters for personal use.

Your library may not have purchased all subject areas. If you are authenticated and think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.


Further information

or login to access all content.