Edited by Maurice Mullard and Bankole A. Cole
This book explores globalisation and the war on terror in a world that is becoming increasingly and significantly polarised and in which dialogue is undermined. The authors contend that citizenship does not obey a static definition, and that its meaning is located in changing economic, social and political contexts. Equally, civil, political and social rights are continually being politically defined. The war on terror has, the book argues, influenced issues of civil liberties and prioritised the need for ‘security’ over and above the protection of human rights: it has redefined the meaning of the rule of law.
Show Summary Details
- Globalisation, Citizenship and the War on Terror
- Figures and tables
- About the contributors
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Discourse Analysis and the War on Terror
- Chapter 3: History’s Actors: Insights into the ‘War on Terror’ from International Relations Theory
- Chapter 4: The Polanyian Image Reversed: Globalisation and Economic Citizenship in the New Great Transformation
- Chapter 5: Citizenship, Globalisation and the Politics of the War on Terror
- Chapter 6: Citizenship After the Death of the Public Sphere
- Chapter 7: Citizenship, Rights and Tony Blair’s Doctrine of International Community
- Chapter 8: The Politics of Globalisation and the War on Terror
- Chapter 9: Building Institutions for Freedom: The Economic Dimension of the ‘War on Terror’
- Chapter 10: Globalisation, Terror and the Future of ‘Development’: Citizenship Beyond Bare Life?
- Chapter 11: Globalisation, Surveillance and the ‘War’ on Terror
- Chapter 12: Elias, Organised Violence and Terrorism
- Chapter 13: The Oppressive Discourse of Global Exclusion: The ‘War on Terror’ as a War on Difference and Freedom
- Chapter 14: Power, Resistance and ‘Anti-Globalisation’ Movements in the Context of the ‘War on Terror’
- Chapter 15: Beyond the Bliss of the New Consumer Society and the New Dark Times
This content is available to you
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.