Shifting Paradigms in US, China and Taiwan Relations
Edited by Peter C.Y. Chow
The US policy of supporting a democratic Taiwan while simultaneously engaging China is a delicate and complex balance, with outcomes critical to economic, security and strategic interests in Asia. At the same time, rising Taiwanese identity amid the emerging power of China continues to change the paradigm. The contributors to this volume explore the political and economic dimensions of this complicated and pressing issue.
Show Summary Details
- Economic Integration, Democratization and National Security in East Asia Shifting Paradigms in US, China and Taiwan Relations
- Chapter 1: The Shifting Paradigm in US, China and Taiwan Relations: Causes and Implications for US Economic, Security and Strategic Interests
- Chapter 2: China’s Incorporation of Taiwan: The Manipulation of Community Tensions
- Chapter 3: Taiwan’s Party System, Coalition Politics and Cross-Strait Relations
- Chapter 4: US Response to Rising Taiwanese Identity and China’s Emerging Power
- Chapter 5: Legislating the Cross-Strait Status Quo? China’s Anti-Secession Law, Taiwan’s Constitutional Reform and Referenda, and the United States’ Taiwan Relations Act
- Chapter 6: Taiwan’s Choices
- Chapter 7: Growing East Asian Trade and Economic Integration: Implications for Economic Relations Across the Taiwan Straight
- Chapter 8: Taiwan and East Asian Integration
- Chapter 9: Prospects of a US–Taiwan Free Trade Agreement: The China Factor and Critical Assessments
- Chapter 10: Taiwan’s FTA Bid: Process and Prospects from the Global IT Supply Chain Perspective
- Chapter 11: US Leadership in Asia in the Second Term of the Bush Administration and the Challenge of China’s Rise
- Chapter 12: North Korea’s Nuclear Threat and its Impact on Taiwan’s Security
- Chapter 13: Has There Been a Shift in Japanese Policy Toward China?
- Chapter 14: The Lifting of the EU Arms Embargo on China: An American Perspective
- Chapter 15: China’s Strategy: ‘Licking the US Without Firing a Shot’
This content is available to you
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.