Entrepreneurial Growth in Industrial Districts
Show Less

Entrepreneurial Growth in Industrial Districts

Four Italian Cases

Fernando G. Alberti, Salvatore Sciascia, Carmine Tripodi and Federico Visconti

Entrepreneurial Growth in Industrial Districts illustrates that Industrial Districts (ID) have dramatically changed over the past three decades; the Marshallian notion of a cluster of small firms has been vastly transformed by the emergence of rapidly growing firms.
Buy Book in Print
Show Summary Details
You do not have access to this content

Chapter 8: Luxottica

Fernando G. Alberti, Salvatore Sciascia, Carmine Tripodi and Federico Visconti


C. Tripodi This chapter presents the case study of Luxottica, a company that specialises in the manufacture and distribution of eyewear and is based in the district of Belluno. The aim of this chapter is to describe the entrepreneurial growth process of the firm, setting it within the context of the sector and the industrial district and presenting the economic–financial consequences of this growth. The chapter is thus divided into four parts: the eyewear industry; the Belluno eyewear manufacturing district; the history of Luxottica; and the performances of Luxottica. 8.1. 8.1.1. THE EYEWEAR INDUSTRY The Market and the Industry at World Level The worldwide turnover for the eyewear industry is approximately !6 billion; the prescription frame sector accounts for 65 per cent of that turnover, while the remaining 35 per cent is represented by sunglasses. Worldwide demand for glasses can be subdivided into the three main segments and retail price ranges shown in Table 8.1, bearing in mind that in USA the price range for prescription frames and sunglasses is more or less equivalent in US dollars to the European price range, whereas the retail prices in the luxury and premium segments in the Asian market are generally 20–40 per cent higher. The aspects that differentiate between the products in one segment and another are not just the quality of the components and the materials used, but also the accuracy of the working and above all the quality of the design and the fashion content. In particular, the...

You are not authenticated to view the full text of this chapter or article.

Elgaronline requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books or journals. Please login through your library system or with your personal username and password on the homepage.

Non-subscribers can freely search the site, view abstracts/ extracts and download selected front matter and introductory chapters for personal use.

Your library may not have purchased all subject areas. If you are authenticated and think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.

Further information

or login to access all content.