Edited by Léo-Paul Dana
* Léo-Paul Dana and Robert Brent Anderson1 We were and still are a communal society in architecture and thought. (Tessie Naranjo, quoted by Roberts, 1996, p. 93) INTRODUCTION A distance of 72 miles from Santa Fe (the oldest seat of government in the United States), or 123 miles from Albuquerque, Taos is a small municipality in New Mexico. It was formerly known as Don Fernando de Taos, and also as Fernandez de Taos. Three miles north, 7112 feet above sea level, at the base of the Sangre de Cristos Mountains, is Taos Pueblo, also known as the Place of the Red Willows (as it sits on both banks of Red Willow Creek). In Spanish, pueblo means village or town and in English Pueblo has become a general name for sedentary (in contrast to nomadic, as was the case with Apache and Navajo) American Indians who traditionally dwelt in sun-dried adobe or stone buildings in the North American Southwest. (Adobe is a mixture of earth, straw and water poured into forms and dried under the desert sun; the bricks are bonded together with the same mixture.) Taos Pueblo is considered to be the oldest continuously inhabited community in the United States. Goddard (1913) classified the Pueblo peoples as a special group, apart from other American Indian groups. Dozier observed, ‘Pueblo communities are set apart from their indigenous neighbors by two main criteria: (1) farming as a principal basis of subsistence, and (2) residence in compact villages’ (1964, p. 79). Vlasich (2005)...
You are not authenticated to view the full text of this chapter or article.