Edited by Frank Boons and Jennifer Howard-Grenville
Most work on industrial ecology continues to emphasize its roots in engineering and the technological sciences. This book differs in that it explores the social context of industrial ecology and presents empirical work addressing how cognitive, cultural, political and structural mechanisms condition the emergence and operation of industrial ecology. The empirical chapters are written from various social science perspectives and the editors have also invited reflective commentaries by authors with cross-disciplinary experiences.
Show Summary Details
- The Social Embeddedness of Industrial Ecology
- Figures and tables
- List of abbreviations
- Chapter 1: Introducing the Social Embeddedness of Industrial Ecology
- Chapter 2: Ecology in the Social Sciences: An Overview
- Chapter 3: Don’t Fence Me In…
- First intermezzo Out into the open: the promise of dialogue
- Chapter 4: Eco-industrial Parks and Industrial Ecology: Strategic Niche or Mainstream Development?
- Chapter 5: Facilitating Regional Industrial Symbiosis: Network Growth in the UK’s National Industrial Symbiosis Programme
- Chapter 6: The Social Embeddedness of Industrial Symbiosis Linkages in Puerto Rican Industrial Regions
- Second intermezzo A transdisciplinary perspective on industrial ecology research
- Third intermezzo Regional eco-industrial development: views from different stakeholders
- Chapter 7: Transgenic Crops in Brazil: Scientific Decision-making for Social Ambiguities?
- Chapter 8: Commodities, their Life-Cycle and Industrial Ecology
- Chapter 9: Sustainable Supply Chain Management
- Fourth intermezzo Product chain management and social sciences: path dependency, cultural validity and short-and long-term feedback loops
- Fifth intermezzo The exchange of ideas between social science and engineering approaches to product chain industriale cology
- Chapter 10: A Critical View on the Social Science Contribution to Industrial Ecology
- Chapter 11: The Social Embeddedness of Industrial Ecology: Exploring the Dynamics of Industrial Ecosystems
This content is available to you
List of abbreviations
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.