The Global Brewery Industry
Show Less

The Global Brewery Industry

Markets, Strategies, and Rivalries

Edited by Jens Gammelgaard and Christoph Dörrenbächer

This unique book explores some of the key topics of international business through the context of a global industry, focusing on the challenges brewery companies face as they operate in globalized markets. It examines the strategies of individual firms to develop markets and explores new insights into recent company rivalries, both globally and locally. In addition, it offers detailed analysis of some of the major players in the industry through longitudinal studies.
Buy Book in Print
Show Summary Details
You do not have access to this content

Chapter 1: How mergers and acquisitions restructured the international brewery industry 2000–10 – and why

Kurt Pedersen, Erik S. Madsen and Lars Lund-Thomsen


Global beer consumption ran into 185 bn liters in 2009. Wine (27 bn liters) and spirits (19 bn liters) trailed beer consumption, while powerful premixes (4.6 bn liters) and cider (1.5 bn liters) were much smaller in quantity. Beers therefore constitute the largest market for alcoholic drinks measured in quantities, and the last decade has seen a considerable concentration in the industry where the top four brewery groups account for more than 40 percent of the production. The increasing concentration has been caused by mergers and acquisitions (M & As) rather than by organic growth, and consolidation is likely to continue, albeit at a somewhat lower speed. The industry structure has been changed by the aggressive policies of the top-ranking breweries, and, by acquiring Anheuser-Busch, Interbrew assumed a dominating role with close to 20 percent global market share. In 2000 Anheuser-Busch had a global market share (in volume) of 8.8 percent and Interbrew of 4.0 percent. In 2009 this combined 12.8 percent share of the world market had grown to 19.5 percent. Similarly, Miller Brewing and South African Breweries commanded 3.6 percent and 3.3 percent, respectively, with a combined market share of 6.9 percent in 2000. Nine years later the combined share had grown to a respectable 9.5 percent. Heineken and Carlsberg had grown from 4.3 percent to 6.9 percent and from 1.7 percent to 5.9 percent over the same period.

You are not authenticated to view the full text of this chapter or article.

Elgaronline requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books or journals. Please login through your library system or with your personal username and password on the homepage.

Non-subscribers can freely search the site, view abstracts/ extracts and download selected front matter and introductory chapters for personal use.

Your library may not have purchased all subject areas. If you are authenticated and think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.

Further information

or login to access all content.