Edited by Kevin Archer and Kris Bezdecny
With an ever-growing majority of the world's human population living in city spaces, the relationship between cities and nature will be one of the key environmental issues of the 21st Century. This book brings together a diverse set of authors to explore the various aspects of this relationship both theoretically and empirically. Rather than considering cities as wholly separate from nature, a running theme throughout the book is that cities, and city dwellers, should be characterized as intrinsic in the creation of specifically urban-generated ‘socio-natures’.
Show Summary Details
- Handbook of Cities and the Environment
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Urban imaginaries of City and Nature
- Chapter 3: Re-naturing cities: great promises, deadlock . . . and new beginnings?
- Chapter 4: Urban resilience, the local and the politics of the Anthropocene: reflections on the future of the urban environment
- Chapter 5: North American and European sustainable urbanism: toward a theoretical model for sustainable urban design
- Chapter 6: Sustainable urban futures: contested transitions and creative pathways
- Chapter 7: Towards an urban metabolic analysis of the informal city
- Chapter 8: Urbanization, climate change, and regional integration in the Mekong
- Chapter 9: Urban resilience to climate change challenges in Africa
- Chapter 10: Urban flooding, vulnerability, and justice
- Chapter 11: The group and ideological bases of local sustainability policies and programs
- Chapter 12: Green space in urban sustainability plans: trends and best practices
- Chapter 13: Mending fences: constituting urban subjects through environmental stewardship
- Chapter 14: “Restoring” Seattle’s river: competing conceptions of the Duwamish socio-nature
- Chapter 15: City sensing and urban aesthetics
- Chapter 16: Making Moorhen
- Chapter 17: The new urban assertions: no prospect there
- Chapter 18: Sustainability and the city
This content is available to you
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.