Theoretical Positions, Teaching Experiments and Learning Experiences
Edited by Bart van Klink and Ubaldus de Vries
This timely book calls for a critical re-evaluation of university legal education, with the particular aim of strengthening its academic nature. It emphasizes lecturers’ responsibility to challenge the assumptions students have about law, and the importance of putting law in a theoretical and social context that allows for critical reflection and sceptical detachment. In addition, the book reports upon teaching experiences and innovations, offering tools for teachers to strengthen the academic nature of legal education.
Show Summary Details
- Academic Learning in Law
- Chapter 1: Introduction: re-thinking academic legal education
- Chapter 2: Knowledge and aphasia: what is the use of skeptical legal education?
- Chapter 3: Re-Bildung: an ideal reconsidered for legal education
- Chapter 4: Academic education and socialization
- Chapter 5: The necessary loneliness of teaching (and of being a legal academic)
- Chapter 6: Teaching international law critically – critical pedagogy and Bildung as orientations for learning and teaching
- Chapter 7: Learning law differently: the importance of theory and methodology
- Chapter 8: Empirical methodologies knowledge and expertise: a ‘necessary’ skill for lawyers?
- Chapter 9: Visuals for a critical legal profession
- Chapter 10: For a new and more diverse comparative legal education
- Chapter 11: Orchestrating encounters: teaching law at a liberal arts and sciences college in the Netherlands
- Chapter 12: Students’ perception and legal education
- Chapter 13: Learning how to read a case: resources from the visual and dramatic arts
- Chapter 14: Law & lounge: an experiment on student self-organization and critique as skeptical reflexivity
- Chapter 15: Epilogue: an overview, reflections and a student’s perspective
- Chapter 16: Conclusions: concrete proposals for change: 14 theses
This content is available to you
Chapter 1: Introduction: re-thinking academic legal education
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.