Edited by Sangeeta Khorana and María García
The Handbook on the EU and International Trade presents a multidisciplinary overview of the major perspectives, actors and issues in contemporary EU trade relations. Changes in institutional dynamics, Brexit, the politicisation of trade, competing foreign policy agendas, and adaptation to trade patterns of value chains and the digital and knowledge economy are reshaping the European Union's trade policy. The authors tackle how these challenges frame the aims, processes and effectiveness of trade policy making in the context of the EU's trade relations with developed, developing and emerging states in the global economy.
Show Summary Details
- Handbook on the EU and International Trade
- Introduction to the Handbook on the EU and International Trade
- Chapter 1: The establishment and development of the European Union and its trade policy
- Chapter 2: EU international relations law: the power to conclude international trade agreements
- Chapter 3: EU trade policy from a political perspective
- Chapter 4: The European Commission’s role in trade policy
- Chapter 5: The Council: between European legislator and national executive
- Chapter 6: The European Parliament
- Chapter 7: EU trade policy and civil society
- Chapter 8: Business-government relations in EU trade politics
- Chapter 9: Trade policy and foreign policy in the European Union
- Chapter 10: The EU’s foreign trade policy towards its eastern frontier: assessing its triangular trade relationship with Ukraine and Russia in the context of the Ukraine crisis
- Chapter 11: The EU and Africa: trade, development and the politics of inter-regionalism
- Chapter 12: The promotion of social trade by the European Union in its external trade relations
- Chapter 13: The role of ideas in legitimating EU trade policy: from the Single Market Programme to the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership
- Chapter 14: Re-shaping global borders: EU trade policy and the interregional preference
- Chapter 15: The European Union and Fair Trade: hands off ?
- Chapter 16: European Union trade agreements and global value chains
- Chapter 17: Trade, competitiveness and the China factor
- Chapter 18: EU and developing Asia trade dispute settlement: assertive legalism for political autonomy
- Chapter 19: Building a special place in Europe-Asia trade: EU-Singapore commercial relations
- Chapter 20: Singapore Issues
- Chapter 21: The Digital Single Market: move from traditional to digital?
This content is available to you
Chapter 1: The establishment and development of the European Union and its trade policy
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.