Time for a Change
Edited by Marilena Antoniadou and Mark Crowder
Examining the modern day challenges faced by academics throughout their working lives, this timely book investigates the ways in which academic careers are changing, the reasons for these changes and their potential future impacts. Contributors with insider experience of both traditional research focussed universities and newer institutions with an emphasis on teaching, utilise theoretical and empirical methods to provide international perspectives on the key issues confronting modern day academics.
Show Summary Details
- Modern Day Challenges in Academia
- Figures and tables
- Chapter 1: Living the dream … but for how long? Being an early-career academic in the context of ‘excellence’
- Chapter 2: Career transitions from industry to academia
- Chapter 3: Career issues, paths and motivations: career stories of four UK academics
- Chapter 4: Three scholars at work: making sense of the twenty-first-century academy
- Chapter 5: Get me a job! Thinking about student employability
- Chapter 6: From euphoria to letting go: experiences of cross-cultural adaptation of international academics in UK higher education
- Chapter 7: Exploring perceptions of academic management roles in the undergraduate student experience
- Chapter 8: External examiners: what do they do and how does someone become one?
- Chapter 9: ‘Signature of mediocrity’? Variability and uncertainty associated with PhD assessment processes in the UK
- Chapter 10: Providing research supervision: a personal polemic
- Chapter 11: The effects of control on academic engagement, work & –life balance and work–life conflict: is how we manage and what we measure actually contributing to what we strive to pursue?
- Chapter 12: The balance between teaching and research: challenges and contradictions in the context of the modern university
- Chapter 13: Caring and coping: an interpretative phenomenological analysis of lecturers’ emotional labour in the context of higher education commercialisation and the consequences for staff and student wellbeing
- Chapter 14: The unseen pressures of academia
- Chapter 15: Apps and smartphone technology acceptance: lecturers’ likelihood of using interactive polling systems in the lecture theatre
- Chapter 16: Being an academic in an era of rapid technological change and distance learning education: views of faculty members of a business school
- Chapter 17: Academic leadership: challenges and opportunities for leaders and leadership development in higher education
- Chapter 18: Institutional research: unintended consequences in higher education
- Chapter 19: Academics moving from higher education institutions: careers of PhDs after graduation
- Chapter 20: Retirement: a valediction to work?
- Chapter 21: Working past retirement age: from the point of view of a business and management academic
- Chapter 22: But I don’t like golf: emeritus roles
- Conclusion: time for a change
This content is available to you
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.